Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Start a garden

Last year when we moved into our home, I decided that I wanted to create a garden and make it something I'd participate in for frugality and taste. Also growing your own garden is an amazing way to be frugal.

It is the perfect time here in the south to start planting, but it is a bit early in the pacific northwest to begin planting (they are still getting snow) but preperations can get started indoors. If you are considering gardening here are some quick tips to save money as you get started.

This is how frugal gardening can be:
“One mini packet of broccoli seeds: $3.25 for about 100 seeds. even if you only plant 3 seeds, you get more than one head of broccoli per plant and you’ve more than just redeemed the cost you'd would pay in the store, not to mention it’s ORGANIC and tastes way better! You can save the seed packet for next season or plant a few more the next month so that you have a steady supply, or share with a friend and save even more money.”

1. Plant seeds not plants
It is quite inexpensive to purchase seeds. You can buy seeds from the $ Tree for 10/1.00 or pick them out at Wal-Mart for $.75 - $1.00 each. You can also find seeds at your local hardware store, gardening store, even 99 cent store in some places. Most climates will allow you to plant seeds if you start earlier. If you are in an area with a very short growing season (AK or northen states) you may want to plant some seeds indoor near windows now. Then in a month (or two) you’ll have some good looking plants to place in your garden.

I started my seedlings the first week of March. I only had 4 cucumber seedlings pop up and they are now planted in my garden. I had to go buy the tomatoes and peppers because I got a late start for seeds. I will however be purchasing more seeds to plant next year.

2. Think creatively with space
If you live in an apartment or condo don’t despair. Herbs do amazing in windowsills. Work with what you have you’ll be surprised how creative you can get!

Herb Ideas for planting:
For an italian mix, plant some Basil, Oregano, Marjaram, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme. Other good herbs to have are Onion Chives (use in salad and soups), Cilantro, and Parseley. Also plant some Orange Mint, Spearmint, and Lemon Balm for Ice Tea flavoring. Strawberries are better planted in pots instead of the ground (if the berries hit the ground, they will rot!

3. Start a compost bin
A Compost bin can be quite inexpensive, it can just be a “pile” in your yard where you place food scraps and lawn trimmings but to work best it should be some type of bin as this promotes the composting process and creates better fertilizer faster.

This I don't do. My neighbor has a cat and we have a dog and I just know they'll meet in the bin! LOL

4. Start thinking how you will use your harvest
I started making plans (yes this early) for how I would make the most of my harvest. Will I freeze my extra strawberries, herbs and peppers. I do not have a plan for the tomatoes, I'm not sure if I'll have any left over. This helps me prepare for the season when fresh produce and fruit overflows at our house and helps me think through how I can keep it from going to waste.

5. Start a co-op
Join gardening efforts with friends, plant a large crop of your favorite fruit or vegetable and have them plant a large crop of another produce or vegetable you both enjoy. Then split the harvest. This can be a great space saver. You could also choose to go in together with seed packets to get the most value for your buck.

OK lets get those comments and questions rolling! What tips do you have for saving money as you begin your garden (more gardening saving tips coming for how to best harvest and use your hard earned fruit and produce). I know there are lot’s of great ideas out there so let’s start sharing with each other!

Do you have a good idea on how to save money that you want to share? I’d love to have some guest bloggers please contact me with your idea! AFrugalLife (at) cox (dot) net

Some Ideas from Frugal 4 A Busy Life!

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Coupons On Thier Way to Your Door in 24 Hours

About Me

My photo
I am a housewife and mother who looks for every opportunity to save money and to make my familys life enjoyable. My family and I LOVE trying new things, so if you are a PR person, please contact me about reviewing your products on my frugal blog, www.Bargains4Wahms.com

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your opinions and comments!! All are greatly appreciated.

About This Blog

Live Traffic

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 COPYRIGHT @2009 A Frugal Life!

Back to TOP  

DNCBWP7S7W35